Relay for Life of Spalding County Committee Chair Teresa Bailey said the goal for this year is $165,000.
“We are looking for a lot more money,” Bailey said. “When it rained, a lot of people left without turning their money in.”
The annual Relay for Life, held again at the Spalding High track last Friday night and Saturday morning, had 50 teams and almost 700 participants. Bailey said it rained twice, first for about 30 minutes, then some sprinkles later on.
To raise money beyond pledges, teams also sold food and beverages and/or had carnival games and food as part of the Carnival for a Cure theme. According to the local Relay webpage, about $40,000 was raised at the track alone.
Bailey said teams will continue to have fund-raising events through the end of August, as the Relay for Life fiscal year ends Aug. 31. Top fundraisers, team and individual, will be announced at that time, she said.
Bailey said the contest winners at the event were:
• Most Spirited Team was Kennedy Road Middle School.
• Best Tent Site was won Jackson Road Elementary School.
• Best Banner was won by Brightmoor Hospice.
• Best Spirit Stick was won by Richie’s Team.
• Miss Relay was won by Coach Frankie Gunther at Spalding County High.