• For state treasurer Pope Brown, of Pulaski, announced his candidacy for governor.
• The Georgia Legislature passed a bill giving county commissions authority to levy four mills instead of two for the building of roads.
• Griffiin Ice Works invited local residents to tour the bottling plant.
From the annals of 1961
• Georgia poultry men “cried foul” on a Florida chicken tax order.
• The national debt reached $300 billion.
• Miss Louisiana, Sharon Rene Brown, was named “Miss USA.”
From the annals of 2006
• The new 800 MHz system was a hot topic in a Spalding County Board of Commissioners candidate forum.
• Kathy Noble was out-spending Eddie Goss in the Spalding BOC District 5 race.
• The Griffin BOC considered a heavy truck ordinance.