As a public service, various camps are listed below by order of date:
* GIRLS HOLD CAMP: A free girls basketball camp will be held from 9 a.m., until noon June 18-20 at Griffin High for girls between the ages of 8-14.
Registration is on-site for this fundamental skills camp sponsored and taught by the Griffin High coaching staff. For more, call (770) 467-4750.
* SPALDING HIGH BASEBALL CAMP: The Spalding High baseball team’s annual summer fundamental skills and drills camp is June 18-20. The camp, which costs $60 per player, will run from 9 a.m., until noon each day at Jaguar Field.
Registration begins 8:30 a.m., on June 18. To learn more or register, contact Jaguars head coach Mickey Moody at (770) 316-3667 or Mickey.Moody@gscs.org.
* WILDLIFE WEEK, June 25-29 at Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center in Mansfield, Ga. – SPACE LIMITED: This is an overnight camp for boys and girls between 11 and 12 years old.
Spend a week with Georgia DNR biologists, educators and naturalists learning about Georgia’s wildlife and natural resources, shooting sports, outdoor survival skills, hiking, camping, astronomy and more. Cost: $225 per camper. For more information, contact Julie Watson at 770-784-3059 email@example.com.
* FUMC SOCCER CAMP: Griffin First United Methodist Church is offering a soccer camp from 5-8 p.m., June 25-28. Deadline to register is June 20.
Gordon College coach Scott Henderson will teach the camp for K-6th graders. Cost, $85, includes ball and T-shirt. To learn more or register, call (678) 688-3858.
* CHEERLEADING CAMP: The Spalding County Cheerleading Association will conduct a free cheerleading camp for ages 3-12 from 6-8 p.m., June 26-28 at the Griffin City Park gym.
Campers must pre-register online at spaldingparksandrec.com or in person at SCPRD’s main office at 843 Memorial Drive by June 21. For more, call (770) 467-4750.
* SHERROD MARTIN FOOTBALL CLINIC: Sherrod Martin’s second annual free youth football clinic will be held from 9 a.m. until 12:30 p.m., June 30 at the Griffin High practice fields. The age range is from 6-14 and the first 100 campers to sign up at sherrodmartin.com will receive free T-shirts.
See Camp/Page A11
Lunch as well as a camp T-shirt will be provided. Each participant will need to bring their own shorts and cleats to the camp. Please check sherrodmartin.com for more details.
* JUMPING JOE WARD’S BASKETBALL CAMP: Former Griffin High and NBA standout “Jumpin” Joe Ward Sr., will conduct a free youth basketball camp for boys and girls 10 and under from 9 a.m., to 2 p.m., July 9-12 at Spalding High and for ages 11 and older; from 9 a.m., until 3 p.m., July 16-20 also at SHS.
Register on site. The camp, traditionally the best attended of all the free summer camps offered by the SCPRD — with daily attendance frequently topping 500 campers — is considered a fundamental skills camp. Ward, a former Mr. Georgia, and local staff will teach the camp both weeks. For more, call (770) 467-4750.
* FREE GOLF CAMP: The SCPRD is holding registration for a free annual junior golf camp sponsored by Unlimited Door Foundation and conducted by Calvin Daniel from 8:30 a.m. to 12 noon July 9-20 at Griffin City Park behind the community center.
No special equipment is needed — balls and clubs will be provided. Campers will learn grip, swing, stance, putting and more. Please pre-registration is required because space is limited for this very popular program. Register on line at www.spaldingparksandrec.com or at SCPRD’s Main office located at 845 Memorial Drive. For more, call (770) 467-4750.
* GIRLS OF THE GREAT OUTDOORS, July 11-13, at Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center in Mansfield, Ga.: This three-day camp is designed to introduce young women, between the ages of 10 and 12, to a variety of outdoor skills and wildlife-related field studies. Activities will range from hiking, camping, stream and pond studies, fishing, shooting sports and more.
All programs will be led by women who are experts in their respective fields. Cost: $125 per camper. For more information, contact Julie Watson at 770-784-3059 firstname.lastname@example.org .
* SHOOTING SPORTS CAMPS, July 16-20, at Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center in Mansfield, Ga.: Campers between the ages of 13-15 will spend five days at the Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center developing skills in shooting sports, fishing, birding, hiking and more.
All shooting sports will be taught and supervised by DNR certified instructors. Cost: $225 per camper. For more information, contact Julie Watson at 770-784-3059 email@example.com.
* FUMC BASKETBALL CAMP: Griffin First United Methodist Church is offering a basketball camp from 9 a.m., until noon July 16-19.
Saint George’s Episcopal School coach Dan Keeley will teach the camp for 1st-7th graders. Cost, $80, includes basketball. To learn more or register, call (678) 688-3858.
* LAMONT HAMM MEMORIAL FOOTBALL CAMP: The Lamont Hamm Memorial Football Camp will be held from 7-8:30 p.m., July 23, 24, 26 and 27 at Volunteer Park.
Register on-site for the free youth camp sponsored by the SCPRD Volunteer Coaches. The fundamental skills camp is for ages 8-12. For more, call (770) 467-4750.
* FUMC VOLLEYBALL CAMP: Griffin first United Methodist Church is offering a volleyball camp from 9 a.m., until noon July 24-27.
Saint George’s Episcopal School coach Dan Keeley will teach the camp for 6th-12th graders. Cost, $80, includes volleyball. To learn more or register, call (678) 688-3858.
* SOCCER CAMP: A free youth soccer camp will be offered for ages 6-and up from 9-11 a.m., July 25-27 at different locations. The first day the camp will be held at the City Park Community Center, before moving to the Fairmont Community Center and the second day and concluding at Tyus Park on the third day.
Pre-registration required on-line or in person at the SCPRD by July 9 for this camp sponsored by the Griffin Youth Soccer Association. For more, call (770) 467-4750.